Friday 30 December 2022

2022 in Review - The 1st Post Covid-19 Season of Adventure

The year is finally coming to an end, what a ride it has been! Many first-times, and first-time-since-Covid in 2022. Borowing from Rená Koesler, a life coach from Summit Coach International, here are some reflection questions I wanna ask myself, in terms of adventuring in 2022.

What celebrations do you have from the year? 
I can celebrate that I have finally completed the UTMB OCC (55km, 3500m+ from Switzerland to Chamonix), a dream that begun when I was a noob trail runner in 2015. It was a long ultra, not because of the distance nor the elevation, but from the 7 years of trying and pursuing and trying again. And I thought 12hrs 1min (2nd Singaporean overall) was not a bad timing as well!
Watch the video: OCC
 
What did you do that was new? 
To attempt the Trans Jeju 100km, barely 2 months after OCC! It was the first time I attempted a 3-digit distance with 4000m+ elevation (the only other 100km was in flat Singapore in 2021). It was a DNF, but was a good experience. There are so many more factors to manage in a 100km, not just fatigue. I am confident of crushing it next time!
What are you most proud of? 
Proud that....I did not rest on my laurels just because I finished the OCC. I knew the Trans Jeju 100 was gonna be tough, high chance will DNF coz my mind was not 100% in it so soon after OCC, but I went for it and did what I could. A DNF doesn't look good on social media, doesn't do well for your ego, but hey I'd rather be constantly challenging myself (and fail) than just sit around and look good (and blabber on and on about the OCC). 
Watch the video: Trans Jeju 100

What was the one thing that scared you? 100km. Overnight races. More than 20hrs of racing. Alone in the dark forest, what if the headlamps all stop working? What if I went off track and nobody could find me? So many what-ifs and many things could go wrong in a long race. 

What worked well and what would I continue in 2023?  
The long endurance weekend run/hike in Bukit Timah and clocking elevation gains by hiking up and down the summit countless times, sometimes with ankle weights. In big mountain races I felt that my legs were ready for the big climbs, even though we could only train on small hills. 

What would I change or stop doing or pursuing? 
I could do with a little more speed, especially on the roads or flat section. Having a better running economy certainly helps, even when you're just crawling along slowly at 15min/km. 

Are my goals for 2023 aligned with my mission and values? 
My goal for 2023 is to complete a 100km ultra trail, probably Trans Jeju 100. It's still something that scares and motivates me. It has its fair share of risks and chances of failure. That's why it's an adventure. My life value is Never Stop Adventuring. If it's too easy, it's probably not worth doing. 

Am I the person I want to be? 
I want to be someone who constantly challenges myself to be better in every aspect. Care for people around me especially family. And leave the world a little better for the next generation. I think I’m on the right track. 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment