Monday 30 December 2019

Ultra Trail Running - My First 5 Years


OH WOW! It’s been 3 years since I posted an entry! During my last entry in 2016, I still had not completed any ultra trail races (those in Singapore with <1000m elevation didn’t count!) In 2015 there was a DNF in Lantau 50, in 2016 DNF in Sai Kung 50, and DNF in Lantau 50, again! 

Action Asia Lantau 50 HK, will always remember how the never-ending stairs brutally exposed my weakness in climbing.

2017 was THE BREAKTHROUGH! After the 3 DNF, I trained hard on my climbing legs: stairs climbing at the flats near my home, Bukit Timah Hill x infinity repeats etc. I was also more discerning in the ultra trail races I signed up for: 2000+ and 3000+ elevation DOES make a difference! 12hr and 15hr COT DOES make a difference! I decided to give HK trails a break and go for Trans Jeju 50k, approximately 2500+ elevation. The route goes like this: climb up to 1900+ (summit Hallasan), come down, and then run relatively flat trails for the next 30+km. Sounds do-able! And so I completed by first ultra trail 50k in Jeju in July 2017.

Typical trainings looked like this, BTH x many.

Elevation chart of Trans Jeju 50k.

Summit of Hallasan, 1900m.
Un-describable joy and relief at crossing the finish line.

With my no.1 crew.

Before the euphoria of my first ultra trail died down, I was *asked by my trail running and technopreneur friend Steffan “let’s go Tai Mo Shan Ultra, onz bo?” Ok since I was already training, why not extend a few more months to prepare for this race that falls on New Year’s Eve. Tai Mo Shan Ultra (YTF) was definitely tougher than Trans Jeju, a typical HK trail with lots of stairs and 3000+m elevation. With a COT of 17hrs, I should have a realistic shot at finishing my first HK ultra trail race. And finished I did – before midnight. That’s TWO ultra trail races in 2017!

First trail race that went into the night and had to activate head lamp.

Still my no. 1 crew! 
2017 was encouraging, but 2018’s focus was different. I got married, and decided to go Jeju for our honeymoon. We climbed Hallasan, which was actually a recce for Esther’s maiden 50k ultra trail. She wants to recce Hallasan to see all the wildlife available, so that during the race she will not be too distracted to take photos. Apart from wedding preparations, she also trained with me in our BTH x infinity, stairs climbing, Chestnut trails etc. We had also done a few 20-30km trail races in Malaysia, Thailand and HK. And so in August 2018, we finished Trans Jeju 50k as Mr and Mrs! At this point I would like to recommend Trans Jeju 50k as a beginner-friendly ultra trail race, terrain-wise it’s much more pleasant than many others, and very well organized too! Also, it helps your trail running life if your spouse also does the same!

Our stairs training together.

Trail runs in the Singapore heat.

First ultra trail finish as a couple!

Before the year came to a close, I raced in another of the Trans Asia series – Trans NT in HK. It was meant to “clock currency” in HK trails (another excuse to holiday in HK) and to gain enough points for UTMB (OCC). Besides, the organizers offered “double registration” for both Trans NT and the very popular and easily-sold-out Trans Lantau in 2019!

The intimidating Needle Hill!

In the zone. 

Running with the beautiful HK skyline as backdrop.
December 2018, my long-time army and NTU hostel buddy *asked me “wanna do Gobi March?” Fact is he already started asking me in 2016, back then I had not even managed to complete a 50k trail race, rejecting him for a 250km race across the Gobi desert was a no-brainer. After 2 years of racing 50k in the trail running scene, I felt I was ready to take on the next level of challenge. Besides I already had a few friends who were ready to take the plunge, if I “miss the boat” I will probably have to do it alone next time. This buddy (Ah Kow) was the one who started me on the whole Ironman craze back in 2007, and he’s back again to push my limits!

So 2019 started with the big goal in mind – Gobi March 250km Staged Race, 7 days across the Gobi desert. Training started in December 2018, ramping up in mileage every month leading to the Trans Lantau in March. 

With fellow trail runners from Singapore (from left): Peter, Lay Hoon, Esther, me. 

One of the few finisher souvenirs I've taken in 2019, nice cap. 

After Trans Lantau, training took a different approach. No more elevation training, but flat and long trail / road sessions with up to 10kg backpack. Slow jogs were interspersed with fast walks, weekends were spent clocking mileage after mileage in the humid and hot Singapore weather, sometimes back to back on Sat and Sun. Mileage hit a peak in June with a 87km week, averaging 200km+ monthly. Perhaps you had seen a crazy dude carrying a big backpack and slowly chugging along at local FM/HM like Sundown, Income Eco, The Green Race etc.
Income Eco HM, one of the first training races with 10kg backpack.

Simulated Long March, 30km in the day and 42km Sundown Marathon at night.

Last training race, The Green Race Singapore 42km.

Training got more interesting because I also had to decide on food, electrolytes and nutrition (it is a self supported race, only water and tents are provided). Every single item that I want to bring will be weighed and evaluated as a “need” or “want”. Even when I was lying in bed, I will spend the last waking hours everyday looking at (the same) Racing the Planet – 4 Desert videos on Youtube. I even borrowed a library book “Finding Gobi” to get a better glimpse of the race conditions, first time I walked into a library in a decade! Looking back, the project totally consumed me. Every day I was reminded of the mammoth task at hand, much to the agony of Esther. Large chunks of weekends were spent running and walking, with whatever little energy I’ve left for the date-nights.

Need or want? Decided to ditch the solar panel coz it's too heavy.

Final logistics with re-packed meals.

28 July to 3 August, 7 days of Gobi March passed by in a flash. It was truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience in so many ways! There were the starry night skies, encouragements generously dished out whenever you pass someone (or get passed), the Singapore / HK runners hang-outs during meal times, yoga / massage sessions at camps, diversity of friends made and the food they brought along. Made my first friend from Luxembourg! 

Wake up, clock 40+km with backpack, eat, sleep. Repeat for a week. 

One of the many small streams we had to cross, refreshing! 

Every night was a starry night.

The only time we had coke in the aid station. 

The struggle was real. 

And the Finish! 

This race also opened up new opportunities for me: I got to raise $11,000 from friends and donors for No-Kill Dog Shelters in Singapore! Also got to share my experience and learnings at a few different platforms, from an intimidating public sharing in a pub to “comfort zone” department sharing in OBS to Hwachong Alumni “Kopi talk” attended by people many years my senior.

Very proud to be able to alleviate some of the operations cost of the rescue dog shelters. 
Gobi sharing at 16 Ounces pub.

Looking at the past 5 years’ journey, the Gobi March certainly wouldn’t be possible if not for the DNFs of 2015/2016. These “failures” spurred me to work on my weaknesses, get stronger and laid the foundation for the bigger projects to come. 2020 will be another epic year: it will either be the UTMB (OCC) or the Black Spur Ultra 100km in British Columbia. I can’t decide which one am I more excited about, it will be decided by the ballot of OCC. Although I have a coefficient of “2” as this is my 2nd year of ballot, but the number of applicants has increased significantly probably due to the lower qualification points required.

OH WOW! You have read to the end! I think most people don’t bother to read nowadays, so kudos to you! Or maybe you have skipped to the end, but doesn't matter thanks for reading anyway! Pardon the long post, it’s a summary of half a decade after all! 

Finally I'd like to share a quote from one of my favourite international trail runners, Jim Walmsley.



*asked = persuaded, coerced, persuaded again

No comments:

Post a Comment